You can find All Clad Copper Core sets in 7, 10, 14, 15, and 27 pieces. They are manufactured in the United States with the highest quality components. All of the raw materials and metals are also sourced here. I must admit that knowing this did play a role in my choosing this beautiful cookware.
The All Clad Copper Core sets are constructed of 5-plys of metal. From the inside out, the layers are 18/10 stainless steel, aluminum, copper, aluminum, and 18/10 induction stainless steel. I’ll explain the 18/10 numbers and some of the other stuff in a moment.
But one key question that I’ve seen asked a few times about the plys is, “How thick is each layer?” All Clad doesn’t readily give out this information. But if you click on this link and check out the video interview of John Ulam (All Clad’s founder), he states that each layer needs to be at least 1/8 inch thick to permit efficient heat distribution. I would assume that hasn’t changed.
It is typical to find premium stainless steel cookware made with 18/10 stainless steel (and sometimes 18/8). In explaining what 18/10 means, you first have to understand that stainless steel is an alloy. This simply means that it is made using a combination of different metals. The purpose of doing this is to make it very hard, and resistant to corrosion, rust, and staining.
The number 18 refers to the percentage of Chromium in the stainless steel. Chromium is a protectant. So the higher this number the better. But 18 is typical for higher end cookware.
The number 10 is associated with the percentage of Nickel in the stainless steel. Nickel gives cookware that gorgeous high gloss shine and plays a role in preventing rust. Again, the higher this number the better.
The bottomline is that each All Clad Copper Core set is made with top shelf materials.
The next point I want to make has to do with the outer layer of the Copper Core cookware which is made of 18/10 induction stainless steel. This just means that it’s been magnetized to accommodate induction cooktops. There’s no impact on other types of cooking surfaces. All Clad will get the job done on all kitchen ranges.
The 5-plys of metal go all the way up the sides of the cookware. This construction is what facilitates the efficient transference of heat from the bottom to the top of a pot or pan.
You might find other brands that attach metal discs to the bottom of their cookware. The disc is often made of aluminum which is an excellent conductor of heat. But not having that heat also flow up the sides of the cookware is what leads to uneven cooking. I know from first hand experience, because I used to own some of that cookware. Trust me, there is a differnce.
The All Clad folks like to say that you could bake a cake on top of your kitchen range with their cookware. Just in case you’re wondering, I haven’t tried that one…yet
Here Are Some Other Key Features Of All Clad Copper Core Sets
– The upper edges of pots and pans have a curved lip. This makes it easy to pour off liquids and slide foods onto platters.
– The stainless steel handles stay cool to the touch when the pot or pan is hot. So no worries about lifting or moving the pan around with your bare hands when cooking.
– The handles are designed for utmost comfort. The design includes a notch near the base of long handles to warn your hand that it’s about to cross into the hot zone.
– The handles are riveted on, which is typical for higher-end cookware. There’s no chance these handles will break off and ruin your party.
– It’s dishwasher safe (although I recommend that you hand wash). Some experts worry that dishwasher detergents could leave a permanent film on stainless steel cookware.
– The cookware has a solid, weighty feel but I don’t think it’s too heavy. You get the sense that it will last a very very long time.
– It can be placed in an oven and heated up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. So you can go from cooktop to oven without having to transfer food to another piece of cookware to finish your masterpiece.
– It comes with a lifetime warranty.
As you can see the All Clad Copper Core sets offer everything you would need to prepare delicious meals that your family will love. If professional chefs trust this cookware in their restaurants, imagine the results you can get at home.
All Clad Copper Core Cookware Retail Partners: (Click on the box below)